Thursday 7 December 2017

Returning to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Shipley to Crossflatts)

I opted not to rewalk from Rodley to Shipley and decided to miss this stretch and continue my adventures from Shipley to Crossflatts.  I walked approximately four miles including stops at the Fisherman's Inn, near Bingley, and at the top of the Five Rise Locks, near Crossflatts.


Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Shipley

I remember what a cold day it was and I ensured I wrapped up warm as it's colder walking by the canal.  I enjoyed revisiting the industrial heritage of Shipley and Saltaire with a beautiful wooded stretch of Hirst Woods, linking to the Dowley Gap aqueduct.  At Hirst Woods, there are riverside trails available as the River Aire runs alongside the canal though down below and we eventually crossed it via the aqueduct.  


Love the light reflections on the Industrial Buildings, Saltaire



Hirst Woods, near Saltaire

Warmed up with a Cappuccino at the Fisherman's Pub and subsequently ascended up the Bingley's three and five staircase locks.  Bought a snack at the stables cafe and had a brief stop before walking a little further to where I was intending to stop.  Just a short walk downhill to the bus stop and only waited five minutes for my bus back to Leeds. 


Dowley Gap, beween Saltaire and Bingley


Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Bingley


I now have re-walked the section a few times now but always enjoy returning. 


End of walk, Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Crossflatts 

No comments:

Post a Comment