Sunday 10 September 2017

Returning to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (The Tiny Tea Room, Rodley and Castleton Mill, Armley)



My ultimate aim is to re-walk whole of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal though at a lot slower pace as I want to explore what is around me...only have made as far as West Leeds! I'm however excited to check out places on the canal which I walked past when my Dad and I completed walking the canal the first time.

The Tiny Tea Room

I saw a recommendation on social media about the Tiny Tea Room, an independent outdoor tea room in Rodley and canalside.  It usually opens on weekends, 11.00am to 4.30pm, and during the week when the sun shines.  I enjoyed sitting outside with my coffee and homemade scone.  The scone was rather dry but nice and the experience was great for looking out to the canal.  The price was average and worth checking out if you're cruising on the canal or walking along. Being small it can get very busy. 


The Tiny Tea Room


Facebook page

Castleton Mill

Recently I checked out Castleton Mill, a listed building canalside and near Oddy Locks, and was opened to the public on the annual Heritage Weekend.  I often pass the mill on my walks from Leeds to Kirkstall Bridge and always curious about this building. 

Castleton Mill







I'll share some facts about Castleton Mill:
  • The mill was built by William Hargreaves and opened in 1836 to spin flax.  The finished product, which was thread, was transported on barges to weaving factories which turned thread into linen.
  • Further developments at the mill took place in the middle of the 19th Century; the Hargreaves family built a weaving shed adjacent to the factory.  This meant the mill could make linen and wool alongside thread.  The mill was sold and over the next Century it changed hands and continued producing until the 1980s.
  • The mill became listed in 1987 and since the 2000s it now offers office and manufacturing space for small businesses.
On our small tour we saw renovations being carried out at the mill and seeing some of the completed works will sure be worth it.  Further information can be found via the website







No comments:

Post a Comment